Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Dogtown and Z-Boys (2002)

Featuring: Sean Penn. Director: Stacey Peralta

Warning: This documentary will only be streaming until May 18th so act fast!

I never fully realized how much I like watching documentaries on topics I care absolutely nothing about until I started writing this blog. There is something about documentaries that just sucks me in and forces me to watch them. Somehow I become fascinated by topics as mundane as origami and the California bar exam so long as it is presented in a documentary format.

Dogtown and Z-Boys, for example, is a documentary about skateboarding. I've never really given two s**** about skateboarding, I never really hung around with skateboarders much and the only experience I have on a skateboard came when I was about ten years old. I saved up a bunch of sku's from Kool-Aid packets for about a year and then sent them off in exchange for a skateboard. I got on the skateboard, proceeded to fall on my ass, and never used it again. Now, despite having little interest in the sport I will sit down and watch people talk about it for an hour and a half if it's narrated by Sean Penn. All because it's a documentary and I'm compelled to watch them all.

I think it has something to do with my attraction to passionate people and the only way you'll be featured in a documentary is if you're passionate about something. The Z-Boys were definitely a passionate crew. They were basically a bunch of young punks from Venice Beach (when Venice Beach was still a s***hole) who loved surfing, but since they could only surf for a few hours a day they started skateboarding. While they didn't invent the sport, they pioneered the techniques and style we think of when we think of skateboardering today. As you can imagine they have some pretty damn good stories and some of them even became known as the best skateboarders in the world. It made for an entertaining 90 minutes.

If you're into skateboarding this is a must-see. If, like me, you enjoy watching any sort of documentary or learning about counter-culture movements you should probably consider giving this one a look too. I enjoyed myself.

To add this documentary to your Netflix queue click here.

According to Netflix this movie will stop streaming on 5/18/11. Of course, sometimes they lie.

The Standard 5:

Why is it in your queue? I'll watch any documentary. Plus, if Sean Penn is attached it must be good.

Is it artsy? Nope, just a bunch of punk kids doing what punk kids do best.

What stood out the most to you? The stories of the various forms of mischief these kids would get into.

What mood should I be in to watch this movie? Looking to kick back and be a rebel from the comfort of your living room.

What rating did you give it on Netflix? 3 Stars. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

SPOILER ALERT: Talking about the movie is encouraged in the comment section. Read at your own risk.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...